Friday, January 28, 2005

I'm really looking forward to tonight. A few days ago I order a sushi kit from the Japanese Kitchen and it arrived yesterday. So, this evening I'm going to try my hand at making sushi. Thing is, I'm only familiar with nori sushi, the little rice rolls wrapped up in seaweed, but in the kit I also got a packet of O-Inari san, beancurd packets, for making inari sushi. I've never had it before, and I'm a bit undecided as to whether I should have a go at making that, too. Has anyone had it and can tell what it's like? Decisions, decisions.

It'll be the first time my hubby has had sushi (he, like many others, has been under the misconception for years that sushi = raw fish) so I'm a little worried that he won't like it. He said he's going to phone the kebab shop and make sure they're on standby! Cheeky git!

Anyway, the real reason I'm writing about it is because I'm in desperate need of ideas for filling! I've already been out and bought some tiger prawns, shiitake mushrooms and an avocado, and I have cucumber and suchlike already in. Any other ideas? I do so want this to be a special dinner for my man!

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Wow! It sounds fab dude....I've never tried making sushi....I thought it was just raw fish and them rolled up rice things...I dont like fish so I never bothered with it....it does sound really nice though....even though I'm a bit scared of it!

    Found a couple of links for you:

    http://www.garden-gifts.com/sushi.htm
    http://www.midorimart.com/sushi.html

    not sure if they'll be any good but I thought they looked quite useful!

    Let me know how you get on!

    I'm cooking a kind of fancy dinner tonight too! I have carrot, celery, red pepper and shallots in a mild cheese sauce...baked in the oven topped with a bread crumb topping...served with baked basil chicken and mashed potato! I made it all up myself so I hope it turns out ok....I was inspired by the UK Food cooking type channel we now have as it's all I watch all day cos everything else on telly sucks!

    Lots of love, Amy xxx
    Unknown said...
    Thanks Amy, those sites look lovely. Pity I checked my mail and found your comment after we'd eaten!! Anyway, hubby wte it without too much complaining ... he definitely does not like wasabi, though, so I had to quickly roll some more without that it. He even ate the pickled ginger, which, considering he hates root ginger, is very surprising!! He's now cooking the remainder of the tiger prawns and is going to have them with garlic mayonnaise. His reward for putting up with the sushi, I guess.

    For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates